If you are in a relationship with an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen, you may be able to get a partner visa.

You must be either married or in a de facto relationship. If you are in a de facto relationship you must have lived together for at least 12 months before applying for the visa, or have registered your relationship.

The Immigration Department will look closely at your application to determine if you are in a genuine relationship and have a commitment to a shared life. This will require providing a lot of evidence that proves your relationship is real and has been for some time.

There are two stages in a partner visa. First you are granted a two-year temporary visa, and if at the end of the two years you are still together, and can produce evidence the relationship is on-going, you are granted a permanent visa, which gives you permanent residence in Australia.

Another type of visa is called a Prospective Spouse Visa (Fiancé Visa). This is a temporary visa that allows you to come to Australia to marry your fiancé. You are expected to marry within 9 months of getting this visa; after you are married, you would then apply for a partner visa in order to get permanent residence in Australia.

What visa you apply for depends on whether you are in or outside Australia.

Choose one that applies to you

We are inside Australia More

The Partner Visa (subclass 820 & 801) visa is for couples applying from within Australia. If granted, you will get permanent residency in two years, provided you can provide evidence you are still in a genuine relationship…

Learn More
We are outside Australia More

The Partner Visa (subclass 309 & 100) visa is for couples applying from outside Australia. If granted, you will get permanent residency in two years, provided you can provide evidence you are still in a genuine relationship…

Learn More
I want to come to Australia to marry my fiancé More

The Prospective Marriage visa is for people engaged to their partner, who have met them and know them personally, and who genuinely intend to marry their partner and live with them in Australia. Once in Australia and married, you have 9 months to apply for a Partner Visa listed above.

Learn More

How Alta Visa can help

Partner visas are scrutinised very carefully. The Immigration Department want to see plenty of evidence that you are your partner are a genuine couple, and that you are not pretending to be in a relationship in order to get a visa to live in Australia.

We will advise you about the kinds of evidence needed to prove that you have been living together – and in the case of de facto applicants, evidence to show you have lived together for 12 months. If you have been apart for any length of time, we will help you explain the reasons for this to the Immigration Department. We also provide advice about registering your relationship, and the benefits of this.

You also need to show you are behaving as a couple in relation to your finances – shared bank accounts, loans with both your names on it, joint insurance, this kind of thing.

We will help you collect evidence to show that you are behaving as a couple in relation to your social life. We will go through all the activities you do together, the trips and holidays you have taken together, the photos of you together over your relationship, and assemble a good body of evidence that tells your relationship story. We will also advise how your friends may be able to help provide evidence you are a couple.

Before we lodge your application, we will check for any inconsistencies, and address any evidence that is lacking in any area. Any inconsistencies or lack of evidence we address in a submission to the immigration department case officer, providing a clear explanation for these missing pieces and using other evidence to bolster your case. Doing this can help you get a successful outcome.