What do you mean by ‘skilled visa’?

You can get a visa to work in Australia if you are skilled in an occupation in which more workers are needed. The Skilled Occupation List (SOL), and the Commonwealth Skilled Occupation List (CSOL) list all the occupations where a skills shortage exists. State and Territory governments also have a list of jobs for which workers are needed.

What is the Points Test?

You are given points for attributes the government thinks will make you are more employable. You get points for education, work experience, English language ability, and age. To pass you must get at least 60 points; however, people who get higher will be invited to apply first. The higher your score the better the chance you will be invited to apply for a visa.

We help you get a skilled visa by first checking that there is a job you could do on the Skills Shortage Lists, and that your skills match the skills for the occupation.

We choose the best skilled visa for your situation and direct you on the best strategy to get more points in the Points Test.

We arrange your skills assessment, provide advice on your resume and your work references, help organize and check your documents, and make sure there no inconsistencies that may lead to your visa application being refused.

Choose a visa type

Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) More

A permanent work visa that gives successful applicants and their families permanent residence in Australia…

Learn More
Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190) More

A state sponsored permanent work visa that gives successful applicants and their families permanent residence in Australia…

Learn More
Skilled Nominated or Sponsored Provisional (subclass 489) More

This is a temporary 4-year work visa that can be used as a pathway to gain permanent residence…

Learn More

How do I apply?

You don’t apply directly for these visas – you register your interest by lodging an ‘Expression of Interest’ on the government website, Skills Select. Every two weeks the government searches this database of potential applicants and invites people to apply for a work visa.

Is there an age limit?

Yes, you need to be under 50 when invited to apply for a visa (some exemptions exist).

What should I do before I apply?

You calculate your ‘point score’, get a skills assessment, and for most people, do an English language exam.

What is a Skills Assessment?

Before lodging your Expression of Interest on Skills Select you must get a skills assessment. For each occupation there is an organisation that will assess your skills. For example, the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC) assesses foreign nurses, and Engineers Australia assesses foreign engineers. You need a ‘positive,’ skills assessment, meaning the organisation regard you as skilled for the occupation you choose.

What English exam must I do?

You must have done an English language exam before lodging an Expression of Interest on Skills Select. The pass score is 6 in the IELTS exam, or its equivalent in other exams. If you score 7 or 8 this means you get more points in the Points Test. Even if you are from the US, UK, Ireland, New Zealand, or Canada, (exempt countries) it may be worthwhile doing the exam to get a higher points score.

Skilled visas that are not points tested

Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) More

This visa is for students who have completed their studies and want to stay longer in Australia to get work experience…

Learn More
Skilled Regional visa (subclass 887) More

This is a permanent visa for people who currently have a provisional regional work visa and have satisfied certain conditions…

Learn More